Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Friday, July 21, 2023

Man Shocked That People Are Protecting Themselves From COVID

If you're still COVID-conscious like most smart people are, you will enjoy this opinion piece by a guy named Dennis Malloy. It's titled "Some People in NJ Are Still Getting 'Booster & Wearing Masks", and he's shocked by that fact. Here are some of his observations.

"If you've been to a supermarket lately you may have seen people still wearing masks. It's usually the elderly shoppers and the numbers seem to have dwindled from a couple of months ago.

"I make sure not to stare and try to keep my distance for their comfort. You can even see some younger employees wearing them at certain places. Everyone is entitled to live as they please and they'll get no argument from me. Live and let live. Yet, I was surprised to find out that some people are still getting the boosters for COVID-19.

"The other day I called a car service to take a family member to a concert. The guy came highly recommended by a local app. When we spoke on the phone, the driver asked if the person was vaccinated. I stammered a bit and answered, yes. They work in healthcare and were forced to get the two shots. He said he won't let anyone in his car that isn't vaccinated.

He certainly has every right to feel that way. It's his car and he can make up his own rules. I was just shocked that people are still concerned about that even though everyone I know who got vaccinated also got COVID. He told me he has not gotten the virus and he's anxious to get his SIXTH booster this September!"

He's shocked! He's also confusing the original shots with the boosters.  I've had a total of 6 COVID shots (3 boosters) myself since 2021 and find it reassuring, not shocking.

He ends by saying, "For those of us who thought the whole thing was behind us, think again. Some people were so shocked by the entire episode, that they're still hanging on to it, much to my surprise. Live and let live, but please don't lecture me."

By "the whole thing", I assume he means the pandemic, which is not over. The reason that we are "still hanging on" to protecting ourselves against COVID is because of people like the writer who think COVID is behind us.

No comments: