Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Merry Shopmas!

Here's Dennis Prager on the now annual debate over the use of "Happy Holidays"instead of "Merry Christmas":  "I have been wished 'Happy Holidays' by every waiter and waitress in every restaurant I have dined; by every one of the young people who welcome me when I go to the gym; by every flight attendant and pilot on every one of my flights; and by every individual I have dealt with on the phone. When I respond 'Thank you. Merry Christmas,' I sometimes sense that I have actually created some tension. While many of those to whom I wish 'Merry Christmas' may actually be happy that someone felt free to utter the C-word, all the sensitivity training that they’ve had to undergo creates cognitive dissonance."

I know how he feels. I always say "Merry Christmas", but thanks to the PC types, it seems to be a foreign phrase. And the other day when someone actually greeted me with "Merry Christmas", I was taken aback, because I've hardly heard that phrase uttered during this sadly sanitized season. And anyway, maybe by next year, "Happy Holidays" itself will be found to be offensive!

No comments: