Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Sunday, November 26, 2023

Yiddish Word of the Day

From Harold Ticktin's always-enjoyable Yiddish Vinkl column, here is his word for November 24, 2023:

"Schlubby (sh-LUBB-ee) : a person regarded as clumsy, stupid or unattractive". Example: “My best friend is my dad. So I think that I’ve always wanted to pay tribute to who he is, you know, what the breed of men his age are. He’s a little bit less schlubby than I would like him to be, he’s in decent shape and he’s kind of on the good-looking side. (From interview with Noah Rinsky, creator of TikTok hit “Old Jewish Men.” (rb.gy/tyoklr):

In my family, such a person was known as a "zhlub", and it was used interchangeable with "shlump". It was very common for one of us to utter the expression, "Boy, what a zhlub!" upon seeing some dopey slob on TV or out in public.

No comments: