Monday, September 14, 2026

Please Stop With The "AI Emergency"!

The more I hear all this sudden hysteria over AI, the more it reminds me of the hysteria over the "climate emergency". All this makes me do is turn the TV channel.

When that Anthropic employee railed about AI coming to kill us, all I could think of was that either he was suffering a nervous breakdown; or else he had seen HAL go rogue in "2001: A Space Odyssey". And that was just a science fiction movie, NOT real life.

Is China also going to slow down their AI progress? I doubt it. 

Imagine JFK talking about slowing down our efforts to send a man to the moon. Imagine the Trump Administration slowing down work on the COVID vaccine rather than going ahead with Operation Warp Speed in order to start vaccinating us in 2021.

AI is a good thing, not a bad thing.  I'm afraid that America will end up falling behind instead of going forward, and we're smarter than that.

No comments: