Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Merry Christmas Already!

Dennis Prager has the yearly eradication-of-all-things-Christmas article, and here are a few of his comments that I identify with and agree with:

"I'm a non-Christian. I'm a Jew. Christmas is not a religious holy day for me. But I'm an American, and Christmas is an American national holiday. Therefore, as an American, it is my holiday — though not my holy day — as much as it is for my fellow Americans who are Christian. It was a Jewish-American, Irving Berlin, who wrote 'White Christmas,' one of America's most popular Christmas songs. In fact, according to a Jewish musician writing in The New York Times, 'almost all the most popular Christmas songs were written by Jews.'

But even if Christmas were not a national holiday, I would want pilots to wish their passengers a merry Christmas, companies to have Christmas parties and schools to continue to have Christmas vacations. Just because I don't personally celebrate Christmas, why would I demand my society drop the word 'Christmas' when the holiday is celebrated by 90 percent of my fellow Americans?"

Exactly.  But I think kids today, who didn't grow up with the real Christmas, the reason for Christmas, the religion and the tradition, think this eerie lack of Christmas is somehow normal, and it's really too bad.  They are missing a lot. Funny how nobody was offended when I was a kid, while everyone is perpetually offended today.

Change the name to Spendmas and get it over with. If you watch TV, you'd swear that everyone gives a new car for Christmas, and if you look at your inbox, you're bombarded with sale ads. Lately I've had between 150-300 annoying messages a day! Do people really buy cannabis oil as a gift?

I'll be relieved when Greedmas comes and goes, and the roads will no longer be jammed with crazy shoppers complaining about the credit card bills they can't afford; TV will be much quieter; and my inbox will be much emptier.

No comments: