Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Sunday, October 28, 2007

No Such Thing as a Free Lunch

Boy, do I ever agree with the sentiment in this article about entitlements, especially this:
"The fact is, there are many things in this world which would be good for us, but we accept that we cannot afford them, and move on with our lives. For instance, it would have been good for me to be able to attend an Ivy League college, but my family couldn’t pay the bill. It would be good for me (and my circulation) if I could afford to fly first-class, but I can’t, so I ride in economy and stand up every half hour or so to stretch my legs. It would be good for me to eat steak every night (all right, maybe not good for me, but very tasty), yet I eat ramen about three nights a week and steak maybe once a month because it suits my budget better. I even think it would be good for me to be riding in a 2008 BMW instead of a 1996 Saturn, but my checkbook says otherwise. This used to be called living within one’s means. Today, it is called being a chump. I don’t care what they call it. The fact of the matter is there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. All of that 'free' health care is costing somebody plenty. If you want that somebody to be you, then call your senators and congressman and tell them to vote for national health insurance and send the bill to your house. But opt me out. I can’t afford it."
And it's not only health care, it's everything.

No comments: