Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

"Pieces of the World"

I had to post this Pitchaya Sudbanthad column titled "Pieces of the World", about the lingering debris from September 11 -- and the lingering memory. Isn't this poignant?
"I had a recurring dream while I lived in that apartment: I am walking home at night from the Cortlandt Street station through the subterranean shopping concourse underneath the towers. I notice the concentric rings of lights on the ceiling as I step into the mall area. I pass by the Bugs Bunny jerseys in the Warner Bros. store’s window and the black-and-white panels of the Sephora entrance. Normally that area filled up with late-evening commuters, but in the dream I’m alone. I follow the black stripe of tiles that zig-zags across the concourse floor and eventually find myself marching up stairs to the lobby of Tower 1. Now the lobby is empty. Not a single guard is muttering into a walkie-talkie, there’s none of the tuxedoed and evening-gowned set waiting for the elevators to the restaurant 106 floors above. When I woke up, I looked outside, and there they were again, the World Trade Center towers, although my eyes could not see them."

No comments: