Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

"Moving Forward to Improve our Own Lives"

I came across this column by George Montgomery today and I just had to reprint part of it, because he's not only Jewish, but he echoes my own sentiments.

"Let me be blunt — I have a real problem being told about my supposed subconscious racism.  There are some real racists still around, of every skin color, but assuredly, I'm not one of them.  My wife and stepson (and large family of in-laws) are Asian, my goddaughter is black, and there is no need to further list friends and associates who may be of different hues.  I treat everyone I know or may meet in a friendly, fair, and equitable manner, unless or until they give me a concrete reason to act differently.

I'm a pretty simple guy at heart, so let's not make the world any more complicated.  We should focus and be judged on behaviors and overt actions.  As sentient beings, we all have choices to make, and usually are able to think before we act or speak out.  We're motivated by a lifetime of different experiences, and that definitely has an impact on who we are and what we do.  Trying to get inside everyone's head is fraught with problems, so let's Defund the Thought Police without delay.

As a Jewish-American, I'm well aware of what can happen when real racism and evil intent go unchecked.  We have an obligation to never forget the horrors that have been done.  At the same time we don't dwell on the past but do what we can moving forward to improve our own lives."

No comments: