Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Monday, September 14, 2020

COVID Apathy

This is from Elijah Wolfson at Time Magazine's Coronavirus Brief weekend edition: 

"It's the Worst Time Possible to Lose Interest in the Pandemic.  You can imagine, as the editor of TIME’s health and science coverage, how steeped I’ve been in COVID-19 for the last six months. I have no choice but to be hyper-attuned to not only what’s happening out in the world, but to what our readers appear to want and need when it comes to news and information about the pandemic. Over the past two months, I’ve keenly felt how much interest in coronavirus news has declined since early summer—despite the fact that in that same time frame, the U.S. outbreak reached new peaks, and the global pandemic worsens and worsens by the day. A report published late last week bore out my gut feelings: Using data from the social media analytics organization NewsWhip, Axios found that social media interactions have fallen 88% since March."

 I've been steeped in the coronavirus news too, subscribing to many of the available newsletters and reading everything I can to educate myself. It's been obvious to see how the TV coverage has dropped off, despite this being such a traumatic, life-altering pandemic. What's more important than this?

No comments: