Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Monday, June 25, 2012

"The Passage of Power": Well Worth The Long Wait

I just finished Robert Caro's "The Passage of Power" in less than a week, and I only wish I didn't have to wait another ten years for the next volume! This one was just as I expected: a larger-than-life figure, compelling writing, and Shakespearean drama. The section about the transition, the seven weeks between 11/22/63 and January 8, 1964, when LBJ transformed himself from useless, demeaned Vice President to a masterful President, was one of the best in the book. Here's an excerpt. Since everything else I read will now be terribly anticlimactic, I will just have to re-read the other 3 volumes; "Means of Ascent", especially the section on Coke Stevenson, is one of my favorites.

No comments: