Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Stamping Out a Bad Idea

I agree with Jay Nordlinger and his opinion of the new postage stamps:
"I winced on seeing this headline: 'Living people to appear on US stamps.' The article began, 'For the first time, living people will be eligible to be honored on U.S. postage stamps.' It continued, 'The U.S. Postal Service announced Monday that it is ending its longstanding rule that stamps cannot feature people who are still alive and it’s asking the public to offer suggestions on who should be first.'
I think this is a terrible development. Is it because of a stubborn conservatism within (within me, that is)? I can’t quite put my finger on it. My business is to articulate. Here, I fail.
It may have to do with this: Passions and popularity pass. The honor of a U.S. postage stamp should not be subject to temporary passions and popularity. Does that make any sense?"
Yes, it does.


No comments: