Cumulative Confirmed COVID-19 Cases

Thursday, August 03, 2006

9/11: The BBC is Amused

While surfing the web during my lunch hour at work today, I was outraged to see what is considered funny in Britain. You have to go to Michelle Malkin's website to see the still photos she mentions. See if YOU find them hilarious. My UK friend Edna told me that this show has now been withdrawn, and I assume that's due to the angry reaction. Only uncivilized people, and terrorists, would find this remotely funny.

This is way beyond the pale, and inexcusable.


http://michellemalkin.com/

When did 9/11 become a laughing matter?
By Michelle Malkin · August 03, 2006 12:51 AM

These stills are from a BBC comedy called "Time Trumpet" (big hat tip - Steve J). The show features a satirical "Terrorism Awards" show with nominees including a "lone gunman" who shoots Tony Blair in the head as he sleeps with his wife; a 9/11-style video of terrorists crashing an airliner into the Houses of Parliament; and a Tel Aviv suicide bombing.

We are a month away from the five-year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. I still pause, once a day, to think about what happened and how it has changed my outlook on life. How it has opened my eyes to the evils of jihad. How it has changed the focus of my work. How it affects my children. How it affects us all. Every so often, when I'm in Washington, D.C., and a plane flies low on its way to Dulles or Reagan Airport, I catch my breath. And I remember. I cannot fathom how the BBC, the once-revered British network of supposedly serious journalists, could pull a sick stunt like this.

The Guardian blog quotes a haughty BBC spokesperson shrugging off any criticism:
"The clips have to be seen in the context of the whole series," said a BBC spokeswoman. The show begins on BBC2 this Thursday, with the terrorism episode scheduled for week three. "It is a satire. The scenarios are so ludicrous that anyone who complained would be making a fool of themselves."

We have the video at Hot Air. Watch and listen as the audience laughs at the images. Also notice the two "presenters" in the satirical awards show.

http://hotair.com/archives/top-picks/2006/08/03/video-the-terrorism-awards/

No comments: